Monday, May 25, 2009

Getting It Right

Rarely do you get anything right at age 15. Especially not something so life changing as finding the one. At fifteen you date jerks. Boys that still behave as if they were 10. Boys that don't care about much of anything other than getting lucky and finding the next party. You crush on the cool guy and maybe get lucky enough to date him. Chances are he cheats on you, with the cheerleader next door. Come on. It's high school.

Yesterday, I looked at him across the room. A guest of ours just explained to us what marriage is suppose to be. The guest used a lot of words like hard, work, exhausting, demoralizing. He winked at me and I smiled. We mouthed the words to each other..."guess we are doing it wrong".
The last few weeks have reminded me of the fact that I'm a very lucky woman. I don't think I ever forget it, just that I've felt extremely blessed recently. I suppose marriage is all those things at one time or another. Maybe even most of the time. But while our guest seemed to state everything in a negative tone, we look at it in a more positive light.

We secretly smile when 'the guys' start talking about their sex life ending after marriage and/or kids. I laugh when they seem confused about their wives's lack of interest, while in the next breath they talk about all the things they've been doing for themselves. "What? You can't understand why your wife won't give it up after you've been out late every night this week, drinking with the guys?" The nerve of the bitch.

I don't think we have any great secrets to a good marriage. I wouldn't say that what we do would work for anyone else. We are a bit unorthodox. But we've found something that works. Maybe that's all it takes. For that, I'm grateful.

I can't believe all those years ago, I managed to get something so amazing, so right.

No comments: